If you’ve been following our roofing company’s blog for a while, you know that metal roofs are an amazing way to protect your Brevard County home for many years to come. If you’ve already been convinced about the superiority of metal roofs as the best option, but you’re looking for ways to bring down the cost, you might want to just do the job yourself. It’s true — you could do that. However, unless you’re a diehard DIY-er or a professional roofer, you might want to pass on this one. Here are some of the reasons why hiring a roofing company to do this job might be the better way to go.
1. Installing metal roofs requires a bigger skill set
While installing asphalt shingles is a piece of cake, installing metal roofs is another matter. It requires a skilled craftsman to install metal roofs, and the more experience your roofer has, the better the result. For instance, it’s very important to get the first panel of a metal roof set correctly. If you don’t, there’s not a lot of wiggle room for how you can fix it. You can’t fudge it or get away with a wavy or uneven line like you can with shingles. The pros know how to get this lined up nicely, and here at Hippo Roof, we are very proud of the workmanship that we put in to our roofs.
2. You have to choose all the roofing materials
There is a wide variation in the quality and performance of various materials available for metal roofs, and even if you’re a sleuth at googling things, there’s only so far you can get by piecing together the information you find on the internet.
- What’s the right underlayment material for your roof?
- What’s the best product to install to reduce the noise of rain on the roof that’s audible from inside the house?
- Will I notice a difference in quality if I choose this this really cheap brand of metal roofing?
- How do I properly vent everything and make sure ventilation is up to par?
Making all these decisions yourself could leave you with an inferior metal roof that ends up being a disappointment to you.
3. A mistake could end up being extremely costly
When you’re learning a craft like painting or woodworking, you can experiment with low-cost, materials that will present a very low amount of risk to you if your beginner efforts fail. However, if you set out to do your roof by yourself, your inexperience could cost you, and sometimes, you won’t even know it until much later. In the case of mistakes like failing to give adequate ventilation, by the time you discover it, it could be too late. In any case, a mistake on your metal roof could cost you far more to remedy than the amount you were trying to save by doing it yourself.
- You inadvertently waste roofing materials because of incorrect measuring and cutting, especially around the difficult areas, like eaves, vents, and chimneys.
- You accidentally skip key steps. For instance, you fail to notice evidence of rotting, water damage, or wood deterioration that would have told a professional that you needed new plywood decking, and you cover it up with a new roof, only to need to replace it in a few years.
- You fail to allow for adequate ventilation, leading to mold growth
- You end up with a funny mismatch of the vertical ribs on your roofing panels between the front and the back of the house.
- You lose a lot of time — all your weekends and evenings for months — when you could have had a crew finish your roof quickly and devote your time to the things that you’re truly interested in.
- It goes without saying that a project like this will cost you a lot of sweat, even if you do it perfectly and efficiently.
4. You’ll have to figure out all the hard parts on your own
Most roofs have multiple vent pipes, chimneys, ridge vents, gutters, and other things that you’ll have to work around as you install your metal roof. Each one of these pieces will require you to install flashing and seal it correctly to ensure that you won’t get leaks in those areas. While it isn’t rocket science to accomplish this, it can throw a curve ball to beginners if you have never done these tasks before.
Ask our roofing company for a quote
When you want metal roofing, but you don’t think it’s the best idea to do it yourself, hire our roofing company in Melbourne to do the job. Your first step is easy: ask us for a quote. Your next step is easy, too: Sit back and let us do the work, and then walk outside and admire your amazing new metal roof. You won’t be sorry you turned to the roofing experts to get it done right. Contact us today.
Also, please stay tuned for our next blog post, where we’ll cover the remaining four reasons why you should let the experts handle your metal roof installation.